Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Welcome Back!!


Today was the second day of classes for the spring 2011 semester. Everyone has adjusted quite well to the new semester. Cadets returned on Sunday to move in to their new dorm rooms. Upon return many cadets shared stories with others of their winter break. I spent my winter on Sea Term. This years cruise was amazing as expected. If anyone had the chance to read the Follow the Voyage blogs, that was me writing from the ship. Follow the Voyage proved to be a fun project. I addition to FTV, I had my sophomore cruise to be a part of. It was certainly a big change from last year. I was able to do more and be part of more things going on. For example, when I would stand watch, I could contribute to my bridge team. I could offer my input on traffic situation, plot positions, and educate the freshman on how to steer the helm. Watch was a very exciting experience as it opened my eyes to a new understanding of how the ship was operated. Along with watch, I had classes for my major which proved to be very interesting and educating.

Now lets not forget about all the awesome ports that we stopped at. Vera Cruz was certainly exciting. I will admit that there was a language barrier between cadets and the local population. Fortunately there were some English speaking locals that were very hospitable. Barbados provided us with great sun and beaches to relax on. Our last stop was San Juan, Puerto Rico. Now San Juan is a great place to visit. Our ship was docked right in Old San Juan, which offers a great cultural experience.

I'm excited to be back blogging for the spring semester. I'm sure I will have many things to blog about this spring. As usual I will be busy around campus with classes, sports, and the regiment.

Stay tuned for another great semester.

Sincerely,
3/c Joshua Lamm
Cadet Blogger
joshua.lamm@maritime.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment