Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Working Waterfront


Good morning everyone,

Though it is Wednesday I feel that I need to recap the weekend.

Friday morning was very exciting. At 0530 as we began to row our crew shell out into the middle of the pond. One of the rowers accidentally leaned too much to starboard(right). At that point as the shell began to roll there was no going back. We ended up taking a nice swim in Herring Pond.

During morning formation I was awarded the Commandants Award for being the Cadet of the Spring 2010 Term.

In the afternoon I got a call from the Regimental TRO (Training and Retention Officer). He asked me if I could work at an event on behalf of the Academy. Being the motivated cadet that I am, I volunteered without hesitation. Before I knew it I had a box of pamphlets and the keys to unlock our Training Vessel RANGER. I mustered up some freshmen and headed to New Bedford, MA to meet the Ranger for the Waterfront Festival. At the festival we stood on board the Ranger as it was parked along the pier. Tons of people came by to take a look around and ask questions about MMA.

The best part of the day came when two alumni stopped by. One of them was the manager of the pier that we were tied up to. The other owns a small tug and barge business in the harbor. Next thing I know my roommate and I were behind the helm of a tug and taking it across the harbor. We should have put a student driver sign up. From there we watched the Coast Guard do some drills out of a helicopter. We then participated in a tug parade around the harbor.


After finishing the rest of our tours, we returned Sunday to continue doing tours.

The point of my story is that MMA holds amazing opportunities. Sometimes you have to look for them, and sometimes they come right to you. The Waterfront Festival also gave a great chance to network and meet people. Especially the alumni that came and talked to us.

I look forward to more exciting events like the Waterfront Festival.

If anyone has questions about MMA please feel free to e-mail me at joshua.lamm@maritime.edu

Signing off,

3/c Josh Lamm
Cadet Blogger




Pictures (Top Left: Hanging out on the Ranger. Right: Driving the tug and trying not to crash. Bottom Left: End of the tug parade with all the tugs pushing into the pier.)

No comments:

Post a Comment